Who we are

The PhenoLab is a growing group of people based in different European countries. Even if the majority are in Germany, there are also scholars, researchers and practitioners coming from France and Italy. 
Among the participants, there are...

Arianna Ballati, 25 years old, Italian.
"I studied Cognitive and Psychobiological Sciences (October 2015 - July 2018). My bachelor thesis, entitled Mind-matter interaction at distance: two pilot studies, aimed to investigate if experienced meditators' intentions directed to water could change its quality characteristics and be perceived by naif participants, in comparison to an untreated water sample. In 2020, I carried out a 3 months-traineeship at the Universitätsklinikum Freiburg, where I took part in a research project on bodily synchrony, on which I wrote my master thesis, Interpersonal Synchrony as the embodiment of rapport.
I graduated in 2020 in Clinical Psychology at the University of Padova (Italy), and now I am conducting a post-graduate internship and a master course on "Anthropology of health in complex systems" at the Medical Research Centre La Torre under the supervision of Maurizio Grandi, in Turin. In 2015, I published a book about my experience of volunteering in Ethiopia, entitled Come un chicco di riso".
Web:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/arianna-ballati-38015817b/

Marie Bronnec, University student
"I started my medical studies at the Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg in 2016. Of all the opportunities studying medecine offers, I have been particularly interested by the fields of psychiatry and neurology from the very beginning on. Getting deeper into this matter, I have been and still am fascinated by the dynamic interactions between the psycological, social and somatic components. I am currently working on my thesis about the detection of prodromes in epilepsy and their neurophysiological correlates, based on phenomenological interviews and EEG measurements. In this regard, the PhenoLab allows me to gain a deeper insight into understanding the experiences of the participants. It also allows me to learn more about the field of phenomenology and to deal with the topic of mental health through an open-minded and reflective way of thinking."

Max-Pelgrom de Haas, Medical Student, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
"Shortly after starting to study humanities I realized that to truly follow my fascination for the question of ‘what it means to be human’ requires more than a vita contemplativa: It calls for an active engagement with the world and others ‘out there’ which made me enter medicine. Ever since then I am interested in ways in which the active involvement with patients and their often drastically changing lives enters a fruitful dialog with theoretical reflections from philosophy and vice versa, and by doing so enriches and challenges the thinking and practices of both. For this purpose, I find the field of enactive phenomenology and existentialism especially intriguing, particularly in regard to my personal interest in neurology and neuroscience. Joining the Phenolab is a great chance personally to deepen my knowledge on the phenomenological tradition and its practical application. It offers a truly interdisciplinary environment in which I am eager to learn and to exchange thoughts, questions and project ideas".

Pauline Morand, French general practitioner.
"When I had to choose my medical specialty, I hesitated among different fields: general medicine, neurology or psychiatry? I am very interested in understanding not only how the body works, but moreover how the mind proceeds. During my medical education, I realized that many symptoms and diseases are influenced by the psyche. I discovered mindfulness meditation during my studies and this practice fascinated me: mindfulness was also the subject of my thesis. In this framework, I conduct and analyze phenomenological interviews, which shed light on the individual's experience, her illness, her experience of mindfulness. My participation in the Phenolab allows me to deepen the subject of phenomenology, in order to make my research more relevant and to have a reflection on my practice as a general practitioner".

 

Fynn-Mathis Trautwein
"Towards the end of my psychology studies I was introduced to the practice of mindfulness, but also encountered the philosophical tradition of phenomenology. Both seemed important complements to the neuro-behavioral approach of understanding the mind that had dominated my psychology classes. When I realized that these perspectives had been integrated by Francisco Varela‘s proposal of neurophenomenology, this sparked my trajectory into research. Thus, during my PhD at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences I was involved in a large-scale longitudinal study investigating the effects of different meditative practices. I then moved on to investigate neural mechanisms and phenomenological reports of deep meditative states at the University of Haifa. Currently I am an associated researcher at the Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Medical Center – University of Freiburg. The overarching idea of my research is to combine neurophysiological, phenomenological and behavioral methods as well as harnessing the familiarity with mental life afforded by the practice of meditation in order to better understand the mind and its plasticity".
Web: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mathis_Trautwein

Lea Wilhelm, 24 years old. 
"I am a medical student enrolled in my last year of my University studies.
I am currently working on my thesis on phenomenological interviews with people who suffer from pharmacoresistent epilepsy. I am analaysing the effects of meditation on one hand and therapeutic education on the other hand, in its ability to improve epileptic crises and symptoms, but also to improve living and coping with the disease".





Comments

Popular Posts